The 9th International Conference on the Evolution of Language (Evolang IX) will be held in the historical city of Kyoto, Japan, from the 13th to 16th of March 2012.
We have unfortunately had a small number of cancellations from the program and as a result have had to make some adjustments to the timetable. The revised semi-final timetable is available for download here.
- Cedric Boeckx (ICREA/University of Barcelona)
- Denis Bouchard (University of Quebec at Montreal)
- Naoki Fukui (Sophia University)
- Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini (University of Arizona)
- Charles Yang (University of Pennsylvania)
- Gabriel Beckers (Max-Planck Institute for Ornithology)
- Bart de Boer (University of Amsterdam)
- Johan Bolhuis (Utrecht University)
- Erica Cartmill (University of Chicago)
- Russell Gray (University of Auckland)
- Takashi Ikegami (University of Tokyo)
- Sean Lee (University of Tokyo)
- Rafael Núñez (University of california, San Diego)
- Kazuo Okanoya (University of Tokyo)
- Irene Pepperberg (Harvard University)
- Thom Scott-Phillips (University of Edinburgh)
- Jordan Zlatev (Lund University)
The workshop programs have finally been confirmed, and the full timetables of all five workshops are now available for download here.
The deadline for student support applications has now passed. All applicants should have received a confirmation email in the last few hours. If you applied for student support, but did not receive a confirmation email, please contact me ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An updated and properly formatted version of the conference program is now available for download here. A printed version of this program will be supplied to participants at registration.
In response to a number of requests for early registration rates following the announcement of workshop paper acceptance, we have decided to extend the deadline for discounted early registration rates until the 10th of February. Additionally, we have decided to release the following preliminary conference program. A more complete and easier to read version will be released shortly.
We regret to announce that Prof. Robert Berwick, who was originally scheduled to replace Prof. Noam Chomsky following his cancellation, will unfortunately be unable to join us in Kyoto. After consultation with Professor Chomsky regarding other suitable candidates for this plenary slot, we extended an invitation to Prof. Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini. We are delighted to announce that Prof. Piattelli-Palmarini kindly accepted this invitation, and so will be joining us in Kyoto to give a plenary lecture.
Just a friendly reminder that there is only about one week left until the end of early registration rates! There rates are significantly discounted so we encourage participants to register as soon as possible.
We are pleased to announce that on the 19th of March (The monday following Evolang), there will be a small evolutionary linguistics meeting taking place in Tokyo. The event is free to attend and open to Evolang participants and non-participants alike. The event is intended as a venue to allow continued discussions of any interesting issues raised in Kyoto.
Details of the conference excursion and conference dinner have been added to the Practical Information page.